These winter months have us not moving around as much and some of us may experience leg cramps.
A muscle cramp occurs when a muscle involuntarily contracts. It often occurs during a sport or other exercise, but a muscle can spasm even during sleep.
The ADAM Encyclopedia offers these suggestions for alleviating or preventing a muscle cramp:
- Stop your activity right away, and perform some gentle stretching or massage.
- Heat the muscle while it’s cramping. Apply ice for pain later.
- Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug to help manage pain.
- Drink plenty of water, a sports drink or take a salt tablet.
- Don’t push yourself beyond your limit while working out.
- Be sure to include enough potassium in your diet.
- Stretch your muscles regularly.